Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sweet Melissa Sundays: Sugar Cookies



This week's Sweet Melissa Sundays pick is Sugar Cookies, chosen by Nina of Nina's Cupcakes.

Based on the comments for this recipe, I have to admit, I was a little scared. And when I pressed onward, adding extra sugar and lemon zest as was suggested, and the dough stuck almost completely to my wooden cutting board, I nearly gave up. I was feeling a bit dramatic, I suppose; stressed out about school and not feeling like I had time to really make the cookies in the first place.

But I scraped the dough off the board, tossed it back into the freezer to chill quickly, and started over. My fiance, sensing my frustration (perhaps because of a couple of curses), washed the cutting board and rolling pin for me to start fresh. Gotta love him. With the cutting board coated in flour, the re-chilled dough rolled out like a dream.


I used my new cupcake-shaped cookie cutter from Crate & Barrel, and then made royal icing with meringue powder.

The combination of the lemony, buttery cookies and the sweet, crunchy icing is perfect. I think the extra lemon and sugar really helped - these cookies are so flavourful. Plus, the cuteness of the cupcake-cookies gives me a little mood boost whenever I spot them in the cookie jar. Obviously, a mood boost comes in handy at this point in the semester.

For the recipe, visit Nina's blog.

9 comments:

Susan February 28, 2010 at 6:11:00 PM EST  

Your cookies are soooo cute! Love the sprinkles on the "cupcakes"! I passed on these. My hubby isn't a big sugar cookie fan.

Unknown February 28, 2010 at 6:26:00 PM EST  

Kait - I used the same cupcake cookie cutter from C&B for my cookies this week! Yours look wonderful :) I really enjoyed these too.

Nina February 28, 2010 at 7:46:00 PM EST  

Thanks for baking with me this week! These cookies are so adorable. I agree, the cupcake cookies are a little mood booster. I'm always happy when I have cupcakes or cookies at my place. It's just a little happiness that I need to get through these weeks!

Mara Campbell February 28, 2010 at 10:21:00 PM EST  

They look sooo good!!! I just love the cupcake cookie cutter. How can you lose with cookies and a cupcake all rolled into one?? Great job!

Katiecakes March 1, 2010 at 3:31:00 AM EST  

Those cookies are just too cute! I love the cupcake cutter!!

Katie xox

SB March 1, 2010 at 10:50:00 AM EST  

tell me where you got the cutter - so cute :) I could go for a good sugar cookie right about now!

Eliana March 1, 2010 at 3:59:00 PM EST  

Your cookies look awesome Kait. I especially love the sprinkles decoration on the cupcakes :)

matty March 2, 2010 at 9:55:00 PM EST  

These taste just as good as they look!

Pity March 11, 2010 at 9:28:00 AM EST  

these colies look so delicious, wel done, cheers from london

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP